Hai thankAmaranths for liking, following n commenting on my blog. We know that with Amarnath we r having lot of recipes n this is one of them.this dish came from my husband grandmother kitchen.
She is an awesome cook. Now we mostly prepare from searching internet but in those days she use to cook varieties on her own without any help. This is made of simple ingredients as Bengal gram dal n amaranth.
Preparation time : 2hr 30 mins
Cooking time : 25 mins
Total time : 2 hrs 55 mins
- Bengal gram dal : 500 gms
- Amaranth green : 4 bunches
- Onions : 2
- Green chillies : 3
- Ginger (2 inch) : 2
- Cumin seeds : 1 tsp
- Oil for deep frying
- Salt to taste.
- Soak Bengal gram for 2 hrs.
- Clean amaranth n squeeze n keep aside.
- Chop onion's finely.
- Slit green chillies n cut in 1 inch pieces.
- Grate ginger n keep aside.
- After 2 hrs clean Bengal gram n keep in mixer jar.
- Add amaranth n salt n grind coarsely.
- Take it in a bowl n add ginger, cumin seeds, onions, green chillies n mix well.
- Take idly cooker r steamer.
- I use idly cooker. Grease idly plates.
- Pour water in idly cooker n keep on medium flame.
- Tale amaranth mixture n Mae as round balls r oval shape balls.
- Gently press balls n arrange them in greased plates.
- Leave them for 5 mins to cook.
- Heat oil in a kadai n keep medium flame.
- Take steamed amaranth balls n drop gently in oil.
- Stir fry all balls n remove when they fully fried.
- Remove on to kitchen napkin.
- Take them in a bowl.
- Amaranth balls r ready to serve.
If u want u can fry amaranth without steam cooking. But I refer steaming so that it observes less oil n they will not break when we drop in oil.